Monday, November 5, 2012

Shirley


My project is inspired by the ghost that haunts mine and my roommates apartment. Her name is Shirley and she is our age. Within the first weeks of living there, we noticed really strange things happening. We told our RAs about the disturbances and they told us that a girl actually died there a few years ago. I have never believed in the supernatural, but ever since I moved into the apartment I am beginning to think that the dead might be able to communicate with us. It's very ironic that I chose to do to a creepy project because I HATE scary things.

I am trying to communicate a very creepy and threatening message through my pictures. I want the viewer to feel disturbed and scared. I want to make people wonder what else could be living with us that we don't even see. With the pictures that have other people in them, I decided to make the scene large because I wanted it to look like they were doing normal activities with a ghost in the background. So at first glance, maybe the viewer doesn't notice the girl sitting on the ground or standing next to the woman. 

My ideas did not really change while shooting this project. At first I wanted to come off as a peaceful kind of "soft" ghost, but once I got really into it I wanted to be more creepy and "violent". I didn't use the flash for this project at all because I wanted everything to look natural and I had it on a longer shutter speed. I posted these image in an order to make it look like I was moving through the house, starting off my standing in the window. Unfortunately, I took a lot of good photos that I could have used but I think that these ones were the best. It was really hard to narrow it down so I hope that these eight can tell the story successfully. 

2 comments:

  1. At first glance, I didn't see the ghostly figure in the second photograph. The person photographed seems completely oblivious to the paranormal activity occuring behind her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work building this frightening narrative through photographs! I especially enjoy your use of slow shutter speeds and under/over exposure in order to convey emotions.

    ReplyDelete